View Single Post
Anonymous57363

Heart Dec 22, 2018 at 02:35 PM

Hello folks,

I know that many of us feel isolated and very lonely when we are depressed. I though it could be helpful to recall and reflect on times when strangers have shown us empathy and compassion. This also helps to remind us that the world is not full of bad, destructive people. Ten minutes of watching "The News" can quickly give that impression. Are there some awful things happening in the world? No doubt. But there is also a great deal of goodness.

So, I will start the thread by recalling a kindness shown to me by a stranger:

Many years ago, I had a case of shingles. I had never had it before. I lived alone at the time and did not have any close friends. My family lived far away and they are not the type of people I turn to for support. I had recently survived a major trauma in my life. The shingles appeared to be getting worse and I was frightened. I went to the ER because I knew that shingles can be dangerous if not kept under control (can spread to the eye etc).

I was sitting alone in the ER waiting room. The physical pain, nausea, and dizziness were intense and I was anxious about what was happening to my body. But the worst part was my feeling of deep loneliness. I had my head down because I was sobbing...as quietly as possible...I try very hard never to cry in front of others. But those tears kept coming because I was overwhelmed. After only a few minutes in the waiting room, I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder.

I looked up and saw a woman with a kind and concerned face. She handed me a box of tissues and quietly asked: "Is there anything I can do for you, honey?" The tears kept rolling down my cheeks. I took the box of tissues and said: "would you mind sitting next to me for a minute? Could you hold my hand?" She immediately did what I asked without a word. No judgment. No unsolicited advice. No prying for information.

We sat like that until my name was called to see the doctor. It turned out that I was having a bad reaction to my shingles medication and needed a new one. The ER doc resolved that quickly after giving me a few condescending comments and zero empathy. Who do you think really helped me most that day? The stranger who was under no obligation to help me at all. But she brought a box of tissues and compassion.

I didn't give you folks all the details of my life back then (too sad) but I felt like I was alone in hell. And then this wonderful stranger showed me a kindness which I have never forgotten. To this day, years later, I am grateful for her...she gave me hope and comfort when I was frightened and alone. May she always have the help she needs...wherever she is now.

Would anyone else like to share a story from a kind stranger?

Peace and love to all
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous40258, Calla lily12, MickeyCheeky, Mopey, MtnTime2896, Sunflower123, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Calla lily12, MickeyCheeky, Mopey, scarlett35, Sunflower123, unaluna