Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2011
306 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 25, 2018 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalParadox View Post
My psychiatrist told me it was by definition not psychosis, because I don't *really* believe my thoughts are being broadcast. It's just a strong feeling.

I've just read the WebMD page on Avoidant Personality Disorder. It describes me in great detail. Most traits of related conditions (social phobia in particular) apply too. It's a shame psychiatry in my country is so inept, it doesn't seem to use the classification system in use in America. We're still pretty medieval in that sense. I've asked for therapy so many times, and all they did was prescribe antidepressants. Which didn't do diddly squat.
I'm glad to see you have already investigated the concern of psychosis.

I tend to view the classification system as being a coat hanger on which to hang treatment plans, file insurance claims and help medical people organize their files. Useful, but not a driving force. How many people are going to meet all diagnostic criteria?? I've known people who were very ill in some ways--and still able to function in others.

And the other thing is this: 'Ok... I am being diagnosed with XYZ...but what does that mean in practical terms?' That's where I start--I want action!

It may be that you can cobble together your own treatment plan particularly if you can find a creative and engaged therapeutic professional. Now that I think of it, that was where my very young but earnest counselor really shined! She encouraged me and engaged me and pointed me toward some therapeutic actions to explore. She made me--gently, politely, nudgingly--do the work.

Maybe for you online therapy might be a good option as a start. One thing is for sure, Psych Central is a good place to start to gather together ideas and information about potential therapies and emotional support.

P.S. I was diagnosed with depression. I took anti-depressants. But I know that was not the totality of my problem; I doubt it is for many. I wish you the very best.
IceCreamKid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote