View Single Post
Msunguided87

Member Since Dec 2018
Default Dec 26, 2018 at 07:34 PM

Hello. As the title says, or implies, I'm not sure where to go from here and any advice would be a godsend! Please bare with me, I'm writing this from my phone.

I've been with my partner for 10 years as of December 2. Starting around October I noticed she was on the phone a lot. What really set off the suspicions was I'd just gotten over being sick for 6 weeks and I thought I was catching another cold. I told her but she stayed upstairs on the phone for hours, not checking in on me like she would usually do. I got upset and checked out phone bill to see who she was talking to. Much to my surprise she'd been spending 7+ hours on the phone with one person a day. This is important because my schedule just recently got switched to where we had no sames days off and had around 3-6 hours 2 days of the week to be with each other depending on when we woke up. Anyhow, I naturally thought she was cheating on me. The next day at work, I couldn't hold it in any longer, I asked and was told she wasn't in a good place right now. I assumed this person she was talking to was helping her though this. Problem with being in a same sex relationship, it's hard to know where friend ends and romantic interest starts. I, being a naturally jealous person and having had cheating phone issue in all my prior relationships, became snarky and probably bitter.

Every special day (birthdays, holidays, anniversary... There is in that small period) we seemed to be arguing. Being a masochist it seems, or gut intuition, I started stalking the call logs on T-Mobile knowing what I'd see but I needed to. It was to the point where I was trying to think of a way to record her on the phone so I could listen what was going on. I still want to see her to text messages but that's neither here nor there. I would even constantly ask if she was OK or if anything was wrong because something felt off. Eventually I broke and I confronted her. This 'friend' was getting more time with my girlfriend than I was. There were comments on social media (that actually sleeping has made seem not that big of an issue now) made that didn't seem appropriate. During this Christmas morning showdown, she admitted to me that she had suicidal thoughts but hadn't told anyone. She wanted attention (I'm not very affectionate if it's not initiated) and was getting it from this person. There was also a mention that she didn't feel anything.

This leaves us here. How do I help? I'm angry inside but don't want to guilt trip her which she'll internalize, by talking about how I feel to make things worse. I found her a therapist, told her to put boundaries in place with her 'friend', and trying to listen openly but I also don't want my anger/hurt to turn into resentment. I don't want a pound of flesh but a quarter or eighth would be ok. I say that tongue in cheek... mostly. Do I need a therapist? Is it OK to talk to her about it without triggering something? I don't know. Any advice would help.
Msunguided87 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote