View Single Post
Alden

Member Since May 2018
Default Dec 27, 2018 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Banana View Post
It sounds to me that's what your therapist was referring to by saying "You have to be more aware of your amnesia of your amnesia".It sounds like you have amnesia but you are unaware that you do(therefore amnesia of your amnesia).

I think your question should have been how do you learn how to become aware of it,what can you do to help yourself with that,etc.

If your dissociation is so severe that you are unable to complete assignments(or to even remember that you are given assignments)recording sessions might actually be a good idea to help you.Or maybe ask your therapist to put it in writing for you or email or text you with reminders or something.

It sounds to me like your therapist(s) is/are trying to find ways to help you but of course it's up to you whether you decide to find a different one or not.I know many things my therapist said didn't make sense to me and frustrated and irritated me at times but I had to trust that he knew what he was doing.

When you ask "How do you get people to understand that you don't do it on purpose, it isn't a convenient excuse, and that I have an actual disorder",were you talking about your therapist or people in general?Is it your T that is scoffing and invalidating you or other people?
It's the T that scoffs and is invalidating. She thinks I use it as an excuse to get out of things even though there was only one actual instance where I didn't remember to do things.

Since the one T hasn't added an new appointments to the calendar and the other T said last week that she can't take it mentally or emotionally any more - I am going from two Ts to none rather rapidly.

These last 6 months have been quite the ride. Now I have to figure out what to do next.
Alden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Betty_Banana