View Single Post
Emma09865

Member Since Dec 2018
1 hugs
given
Default Dec 27, 2018 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo1934 View Post
How did you come to understand that you dissociate? Did you just read something and think "that's me" or did a significant event happen of some kind?
When you understood, how did you feel about it?
Do you experience it daily in some way or is it occasional?

Really just looking for some general talk on the topic. It's new to me. I'm feeling a lot of confusion mixed with a little shame and some salt

Thanks in advance.

(I hope this doesn't post twice--I'm really new here)

My sister had it the year before I did, so I recognized what it was when I first started having it. I actually think that could've messed me up more, because I was mentally trying to fight it off from the start, which is like the worst thing you can do.

I get almost every night (starting at about 6:30pm or so), and every two or three weeks it comes back for a few days straight.

I can't find the article (and, even if I could, I haven't made enough posts to link things yet), but I thought Medium's article (called something like Learning To Live With Derealization--I can't remember the exact name) to be really helpful, even for someone who dissociates for reasons other than DPD. Maybe you'll have more luck finding it. It focuses on learning to accept the condition more than getting rid of it, which I didn't think would be helpful, but actually really is.(Also, the more you learn to ignore it, the easier it goes away on its own)

I'm really sorry you're going through this, and I hope you feel better soon!
Emma09865 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote