Member Since Nov 2009
31.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 28, 2018 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyLost1211 View Post
Hello folks,

I wondered if anyone else feels like this. The more I step back and calmly assess interactions with my family (almost as though I am a neutral 3rd party) the more I feel as though they want me to be unhappy and resent me when I am well.

The other day my mother called and asked how I was doing. I said "I'm good" in a cheery tone and this really seemed to bother her. I told her about things I do for my health and wellness and the conversation became very strange...her voice went high in pitch (which is what happens when she is irritated or disturbed by something) and she began speaking to me in a voice that might be fitting for a pet or toddler: she said very loudly, with a weird voice very hard to describe: "GOOD GIRL! GOOD GIRL! GOOD GIRL!" She was actually talking over me so that I wasn't able to finish what I was saying. I am in my late 30s by the way...a bit old for 'good girl' in my opinion

This was so strange. I ignored it. But I've been thinking about it since. She seemed to have a very strong reaction to my peace and wellness. I honestly feel that she would have preferred if I said I felt terrible or something.

Can anyone relate? I meet the criteria for CEN as well as abuse from both parents. I go back an forth, should I cut ties, should I keep a distance, it is so confusing. I know I could benefit from more therapy. Looking into options.

Just wondered if anyone else feels that their parent and/or siblings would rather see them miserable than happy and well. It is bizarre.
Though I agree that her saying "good girl" was a little weird given your age, I wonder if you might be reading too much negativity into it(?) I could see if it was dripping in sarcasm or something, but it wasn't if I am reading correctly. Maybe she actually was trying to be supportive(?) You mention her pitch and repetition. Is it possible that could also be nerves/discomfort from saying things one is not used to saying? Just a thought, something to consider. Might be off-base.

--The Cure
Innerzone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous57363