View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Jan 01, 2019 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
I’m not sure if this will help or not. I’m sorry if it doesn’t.

But I was constipated for two weeks in October. I took half a dose of Philips milk of magnesium. I was pooping water all night. I had one of those black Halloween icees from Burger King the day before. So it looked like I was dying. But I haven’t had any issues with constipation since. I have been totally regular. So it was worth it. Just don’t drink anything weird colored.
My god! A black icee? Ewww! Well, I will keep the Milk of Magnesium and the stool softener as back-up plans in case my Slow FE Iron every-other-day dose backs me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelinglady View Post
How exactly does a stool softener work? Does it draw liquid from your intestines the same way that an osmotic laxative works?

I have to restart taking OTC iron pills again (I won't do a transfusion for it) so I assume that will add to my constipation problems. But I plan to take the iron every other day. Supposedly, that helps the body absorb it better if it's not taken every day, but taken every other day.

Have you ever had to use a stool softener? How did it make you feel?

To answer these questions, I think it must draw liquid out, since I don't know how it could work otherwise, but I'm not sure.

Yes, I take a stool softener, since the opiate drug I take tends to clog me up. I haven't noticed any difference in how I feel.
Ok, since you didn't notice a difference in how you felt -- bloating, gas, or belching, I'll assume that the stool softener doesn't cause those side effects that a laxative or prune juice does.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote