View Single Post
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 03, 2019 at 11:25 AM

I think in rather extreme cases/stable cases it can be done. It depends on the person. Any signs of abuse or over medicated behavior and I would pull the plug on them. As an alcoholic in recovery I avoid them. I used to take them for years prior to sudden onset of alcoholism so thankfully never mixed them. I didnt have any issues stopping. Now, in an acute situation I think its ok. When my 18 year old daughter ran away for nearly 4 months, I felt like I was in mourning for the first month so I tried valium and klonopin. I recently took valium for an MRI. But I an easily see myself liking them too much. Plus as a ten year successful post op gastric bypass patient I have become a rapid metabolizer. My doc did some genetic testing to confirm this. I process things so quickly I have to watch my tolerance. It happened with alcohol. Towards the end I was drinking three huge bottles of wine everyday to stave of the shakes and sickness. i think overall its safer to not take them regularly but I do not think doctors should be afraid to prescribe them nor do I think others should judge someone who does take them everyday. its the same for opiates. My husband has been in percocet for 2 months while waiting for his first surgery-ablation. His back issues are crippling. He is not addicted nor dependent and often will go days without taking them. But he was in pain management for a year jumping through all the hoops prior to getting them prescribed. So docs are afraid that everyone is going to get addicted and move to heroin. I am unsure if the causation is necessarily there. But at the same time in the AA circles I run in I know plenty of people who had pill issues prior to drugs. But also when they examined their historys they always had addict behavior so who knows really.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Guiness187055