Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 05, 2019 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletPimpernel View Post
Okay. T gave me possible T's website. He's young! Graduated in 2016. I looked him up on psychology today and he does list borderline personality disorder. His modalities are CBT, DBT, psychodynamic and psychoanalytic. He says his age range that he likes to work with is teens, 20's, and 30's. I'm 36. I wonder if he'll consider me too old? And I'm afraid that because he is young, maybe he'll consider me an experiment? Practice for him? I need someone stable, secure, good but not severe boundaries.

I'm so scared! I don't want to do this! I just want my T!!!!!

But I did fill out an email to the guy. I would post it here, but their site wouldn't let me scroll to see all I wrote. Now I have to wait all weekend for a response.
I wouldn't necessarily worry about the age range he said he prefers to work with. My T's website mentions teens and young adults (plus couples), and when I emailed him from Psychology Today, I asked if he also worked with "not-so-young adults." He replied and said that he does. And ex-MC specialized in teens, but worked with adults of various ages (his client before us looked to be an elderly woman) and obviously married couples.

If he has 4 degrees and got his psychology degree (a PhD maybe?) in 2016, he might not actually be that young. Also, it's possible he's been working in psychology longer than that (besides his training)--like my T first got a master's in psychology and did some work related to that (not in private practice, but like at a psych hospital, I think) and then later got his PhD and started working in private practice after that. He's 7 years older than me (I'm 41) and I'm finding I like working with someone closer to my age (ex-T was like 30 years older).

If he is pretty new to the field, he could be more up on the latest treatment methods and theories and more enthusiastic about his job (not that T's who have been in practice a long time aren't!), which could be good. I hope he works out! And I wonder if maybe you'd feel less guilty if you got attached to him, because he's a different gender than your T?
LonesomeTonight is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
ScarletPimpernel