View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
74.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 06, 2019 at 08:29 AM

I agree that you should discuss these feelings with your T. If you want them to be asking you more direct questions, tell them that. As Anne mentioned, many T's let the client lead sessions and topics. My T does ask lots of questions and will suggest topics to address, and I find that to be helpful. I'm already making much more progress with him in a year and a half than I did with ex-T, who I saw for 6 years. Different people need different therapy styles. Or it could be that a particular style or T works for someone at one point in their life/therapy, but to move forward, they might need a different style or T.

If you generally like this T, it would be worth having this conversation with them. See what they say. Are they open to changing up their style a bit? To work on certain goals? Another option (or could be along with this) is to try consulting with another T, even just for a session or two. When I started seeing my current T, it was initially with the plan to see him for just a month or two to help me with an issue I felt stuck on. But then I just opted to keep seeing him and not go back to ex-T. He said it's common for people to consult with another T to get a different perspective on an issue (and has said if I want to do that while seeing him, it's fine). You could try looking around at other T's, and if someone seems appealing, try them out, then decide later if it will be temporary or longer-term.

But I do think the first thing to do is try to have a talk with your T. If you have trouble saying it, type/write it down and hand it to them at the start of session, or email it, if allowed.
LonesomeTonight is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Out There, seeker33