View Single Post
Anonymous52222

Default Jan 08, 2019 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous57375 View Post
Actually, we humans for the majority of our history as hunters-gatherers worked very little (we hunted a big game once every a while), and spent the majority of our time socializing and taking care of each others, exploring the world, and just ... having fun. The time humans have decided to settle down some 5000 years ago or so was the beginning of suffering for most humanity. Social hierarchy and slavery appeared only after we settled in villages and cities, and it continues in our society today in a form or another. Humans live longer on average now, sure, but this wasn't the case until recently (in the last 50 years).

Now most people work between 40-60 hours a week. There is no time for anyone, including children. The upside of AI is that maybe we can find more time to each others again. Maybe this is the purpose of humans after all. Work doesn't quench the soul's thirst, and people don't wish to have worked harder on their deathbeds. However, for this to happen, we need to restructure our society and economy, and redistribute the wealth in the age of AI where there will be less and less jobs for humans to do. Only time will tell what will actually happen. Humans are still resisting automation when they can. I know many customers don't use the self-check out machines because they take the cashiers jobs. Doctors are not convinced algorithms do better ... etc.

Honestly, regardless of what happens, when I think about the future, I feel a weird combination of excitement and fear. Such a feeling is almost euphoric joy for me I have difficult explaining it further.

Humanity has the potential to evolve into a race of demigods pretty much thanks to our technological advancements. If any humans from even 100-200 years ago were able to see what we're becoming they would think that we wield magic or something.

We just need to play our cards right. The next 30-50 years will be our hardest yet I think but if we are able to push through and survive, we will have a utopian civilization so advanced that even any gods that may exist would envy us.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote