Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2017
9,711 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 08, 2019 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyLost1211 View Post
From my own experience in therapy and reading of the research, I actually believe it's the other way around. Someone with no or very low self-esteem can be told wonderful things by others every single day and still feel awful because they have not developed a positive relationship with the Self.

Happiness and peace begin with the Self. We can share our joy with others but if someone looks to others for all of their joy or affirmation that can be a very unhappy path. There is some really interesting research coming from marriage therapists who noted a trend among young women entering marriage with the belief that their husband will be the source of all their happiness and affirmation. This in many cases is a strong predictor of marriage problems or even divorce. Though that's just one example, I'm not suggesting all young women do that or that men never do.

We all benefit from support and it is great to have but what about people who are isolated and have no access or desire to be around others? They can still be kind and loving to themselves. There is hope for all.

That said, I respect your thoughts and sharing on the thread Ennie. I am just sharing my perspective. Peace and positive energy to you

I agree with what you said about people getting married to feel good. I am isolated from everyone.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous43949, Anonymous57363