View Single Post
zoiecat
Grand Member

Member Since Apr 2017
409 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 10, 2019 at 10:30 PM

EMDR, especially on a first session does not necessarily have to bring out emotions. There is no right or wrong for you with EMDR. My T always says your brain knows where it needs to go. EMDR could bring out emotions, physical sensations or just memories.

On the other hand, you state you scored high on a test but you do not mention if the things that happened in childhood make you feel bad, either then or now. Just because certain things happened, they may not have harmed you as a child. There a lot of factors. Sometimes there are enough positive contributing factors that offset the bad.

Is your psychologist performing the EMDR? Are they properly trained in it? EMDR should only be administered by someone with proper training and experience, especially with people like myself who dissociate. If the person is trained I would give it a few more sessions. I have been doing EMDR on trauma for over two years now and have experienced the full gammut.

I do question them asking you to "try" to put emotions to your memories. I did not experience any emotion except anger when I started T. They each came in their own time. Mindfulness was the key to this. Paying attention to your feelings in the present. Once you are able to recognize how you feel in the present, you will begin to notice your emotions related to your memories. If you can't recognize how you feel now, it seems useless to me to try to reconnect with emotional memories.

Good luck to you. EMDR can be a long, hard process. Sometimes you will feel and notice no impact and sometimes it opens a can of worms that quickly multiply and you can never begin to put them back.
zoiecat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Out There