sarahsweets has no updates.

5 yr Member
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 11, 2019 at 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelinglady View Post
Thanks. Not a hiatal hernia this time or Seroquel. My doc has scheduled me for several tests, starting with an endoscopy.

What's Barrett's esophagus?
Barrett's esophagus

Barrett's esophagus is a condition in which there is an abnormal (metaplastic) change in the mucosal cells lining the lower portion of the esophagus, from normal stratified squamous epithelium to simple columnar epithelium with interspersed goblet cells, these normally present only in the colon. This change is considered to be a premalignant condition because it is associated with a high incidence of further transition to esophageal adenocarcinoma, an often deadly cancer.[1][2]

The main cause of Barrett's esophagus is thought to be an adaptation to chronic acid exposure from reflux esophagitis.[3] Barrett's esophagus is diagnosed by endoscopy: observing the characteristic appearance of this condition by direct inspection of the lower esophagus; followed by microscopic examination of tissue from the affected area obtained from biopsy. The cells of Barrett's esophagus are classified into four categories: nondysplastic, low-grade dysplasia, high-grade dysplasia, and frank carcinoma. High-grade dysplasia and early stages of adenocarcinoma may be treated by endoscopic resection or radiofrequency ablation. Later stages of adenocarcinoma may be treated with surgical resection or palliation. Those with nondysplastic or low-grade dysplasia are managed by annual observation with endoscopy, or treatment with radiofrequency ablation. In high-grade dysplasia, the risk of developing cancer might be at 10% per patient-year or greater.[1]

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote