View Single Post
Ididitmyway
Magnate

Member Since Jul 2011
128 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 11, 2019 at 03:23 PM

I am in the field meaning that I am a mental health professional. However, I don't practice EMDR and wasn't trained in EMDR, so I am making a disclaimer from the get go that my opinion on EMDR specifically is not professional.

I do have a professional opinion though on how to approach issues that stem from adverse childhood experiences. IMO just because your ACE score was high doesn't necessarily mean you need EMDR.

As I said, I am familiar with EMDR only in general terms. I know what it's for and I know how it's performed but I don't know it's whole potential and the entire variety of issues it can treat. I think, it's a very promising method that could potentially help many people, but I also think that more research is needed to determine who can benefit best from it.

Generally speaking, I have a problem with quick recommendations such as "EMDR would be good for you if your ACE score is high".

Psychotherapy is not the same as the rest of the medical science. In psychotherapy, very little is proven to be factual and there are no methods that are researched well enough to predict what kind of results they produce and to explain precisely how they work. The human brain is not as well researched as the rest of the body. Neuroscience is only in its initial stage of development. And, most importantly, what we call "the mind" is much more than just the brain. It is now known that the heart and the gut have their own "brain" that sends information and commands to other organs of the body just as the brain in the head does and governs our behavior just as much. That area is not explored at all. So, whether professionals like to admit it or not, psychotherapy is pretty much in the stage of the dark age where it has to rely a lot on experimentation and will have to do it for a long time before it builds a strong scientific foundation.

Therefore, with how much (or how little) we know, each individual case should be approached carefully with no rush to "diagnose" it. The best place to start is where the person is right now and take time to understand what they need instead of assuming what they need and how to deliver it. With this approach you are the one who needs to define what your problem is, not your therapist. This is what you'd do with any professional anyway. When you see a doctor you tell them your health concerns. The doctors run the tests to determine what causes the problem, but you are the one who describes the problem at first.

The same with therapy. When you see a professional, you know why you see them. You explain what seems to be the problem, and that's the place to start with. A therapist should take time talking to you and understanding you as a person, understanding what your struggles are, what you want and what you need. Once you've articulated your needs, you and the therapist have to decide how you'll work together on fulfilling them. It takes time and patience to know what to work on and how to do it. Some test score won't do it.

It's not the ACE score IMO that should define your therapy goals and set your therapy direction. It is you who decides what you want and what you need and the therapist's role is to facilitate your work of getting where you want to be. Two different people with the same ACE score may have completely different needs and desires and life goals. The same therapy method wouldn't work for both of them. The same childhood experiences affect different people differently. ACE test is a good tool only if it's used within the context of the person's unique character traits and their unique life situation. In and of itself, it doesn't mean anything.

If you want therapy to work best for you, you'll have no choice but to take time "shopping" for the right therapist. I hate to tell you this, but this is the reality. No one can tell you what you need based on what you've shared here or based on anything. No professional (not only therapist) would give you recommendations without meeting you in person and talking to you for some time. I understand the frustration when it comes to paying each one while you "shop", but that's the economic reality we live in. You won't be able to get professional consultations for free on online forums.

Bernie Sanders/Tulsi Gabbard 2020
Ididitmyway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Out There, zoiecat