ArtleyWilkins
Magnate
ArtleyWilkins has no updates.

5 yr Member
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 12, 2019 at 09:54 AM

I've never had a therapist use the term personally with me, and I've technically "terminated" with every therapist I've ever seen for one reason or another. I agree; the word has a negative connotation that comes off as punitive (like getting a termination letter when a company lays you off or having a terminal illness or maybe a quote by Arnold. LOL!).

Whenever I left a therapist or he had to leave for some reason, we just talked about "ending" our therapy together due to whatever the circumstance was. No need to use the apparently official term they use in the professional literature (but my therapists weren't much into therapy-speak with me).

Professions have their jargon. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to or even should use that jargon with their clients because often the jargon really is loaded, stilted, and just plain wrong. We were fussing about this "jargon" thing at school this week. Our district has adopted a new evaluation system, and in it we are asked to upload "artifacts" as evidence of yadda yadda. Yes, we were going off on the misuse of the term "artifacts." Drives us a bit crazy, but the "professionals" in charge use that term, so we're kind of stuck with it.
ArtleyWilkins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote