View Single Post
susannahsays
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 13, 2019 at 09:53 PM

C sent the therapist a text and the therapist responded, "I'm concerned about you." I do not understand this expression coming from a therapist. Actually, I don't understand this expression much period. I don't understand lots of the things therapists say, but this one and things like "I care about you" and "I like you" (both of which the therapist sometimes says) baffle me.

I realize this touches on the topic of therapists caring and stuff, which seems like a sensitive subject with some people. I do not intend to be inflammatory. I am just confused by the intended the effect these words are supposed to have on me and how I am expected to respond. Obviously, the actual effect and my response are either out of both the therapist and my control or only under my control. I guess I'm curious what the therapist is thinking when she says these things. My assumption is that she says these things with some aim in mind, otherwise, why bother? Not understanding her purpose makes me feel suspicious and off balance.

What I am looking for in this post is what people think their therapists intend by these statements, and the effect such statements have on you. Also how you respond. Obviously none of us are mindreaders, I'm just interested what people think. I love debate, but please remember that everyone has a right to their opinion, and you are unlikely to change someone's perception by telling them they are wrong.
susannahsays is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote