View Single Post
susannahsays
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 13, 2019 at 11:35 PM

Mirtazapine aka Remeron has been the worst for me. It's actually an appetite stimulant as well as an antidepressant. They use it to help people on chemo. It really helped my depression, but created a bottomless hunger. I never felt satiated. At best, I felt physically full. However, as soon as the physical sensation of being full - caused by my stomach being stuffed - would fade as food started to break down and move out of my stomach - the hunger would come creeping back. My roommate even complained to me because I was waking her up multiple times a night to feed. I gained a lot of weight. After seeing a particularly unflattering picture of myself in all my fat glory, I knew I had to come off the Remeron.

I also have experience with quetiapine aka seroquel. This medication also makes me really hungry, though it is not the mindless hunger of Remeron. On Remeron, I had absolutely no self control and not only did I never lose or maintain weight on Remeron, I consistently gained. On Seroquel, I have at times gained, but I have also been able to successfully lose weight. That would have been impossible on the Remeron. For me, the worst hunger from the Seroquel is at night after I take it, and in the morning. I also take adderall, and I think this arrests the hunger side effect when I take it after breakfast. My method for not gaining weight on the seroquel is to confine the majority of my calorie consumption to those times when the seroquel hunger hits. So I really don't eat much at all during the day. The first sign the seroquel has hit my bloodstream is always the unique hunger. I wait to have dinner until I feel this hunger - so I have dinner pretty late. My dinner isn't especially large, though, I don't think. And I'm able to go to bed without feeling ravenous. I usually eat a rather large breakfast. When I am done, I feel satisfied. Even if I don't take my adderall, I find the day to be easier to manage without food, or with low calorie stuff, than post-seroquel and first thing in the morning, so that's how I manage it.

I have also been on topamax, but it lost effectiveness for me. Still take it, though, just in case. I also sometimes take metformin, but it has an unpleasant side effect for me. That side effect is that it sometimes causes extremely intense nausea if I eat something sweet. I don't even have to have eaten a high number of grams of sugar for this to happen. The last time it did was when my sister made a cake. I licked the batter covered spoon, and scraped a bit off the bowl. It was a very small amount. But half an hour later I was prostrate with nausea (and it wasn't from ecoli or something from the eggs as we used egg whites from an unopened bottle, which are pasteurized). It can also happen if you eat a large number of carbs in general. Took me a while to make the connection.
susannahsays is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
AspiringAuthor