Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 14, 2019 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannahsays View Post
Thanks, growlycat, that does help somewhat. I guess I was just assuming that C texted the therapist about the lack of showers because she is well aware that's a bad thing. I mean, nobody texts anybody else to inform them that they showered today. So maybe C was letting the therapist know something is bad and the therapist is confirming she understands the situation is bad? Or something?

Yes, I think that's what's going on, that C realizes she's struggling and was trying to give the T evidence of that. I've done something like that with my T because I think I sometimes come off, whether in email or in person, as doing better than I am. So I've told him things like "I'm having trouble eating--all I ate was x yesterday" or "I only got 4 hours of sleep the past 2 nights" or how much beer I consumed. So then it's like I'm showing him evidence that even though I might come across somewhat OK in session, I'm really not. Sort of like "Please help me."

That being said, I don't think he'd ever say something like "I'm concerned about you." He's said he cared, stuff like that, in a more general sense. But I think for him it might seem to cross the line of a professional relationship and seem more personal. But T's have different ways of communicating--not saying that there was anything inappropriate about what your T said. Just that I think I'd also be really surprised if my T said those words to me.
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
susannahsays