View Single Post
Anonymous40258
Anonymous40258 has no updates. Edit

Default Jan 14, 2019 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmina View Post
I can cope pretty well with emotional regulation when I'm fully conscious but when I'm sleeping I find my sleep gets interrupted a lot still by startle responses to sounds outside (often things like car doors slamming or people loading something into a car in the early hours of the morning). And when I get woken this way it's a real shock and my nerves are on edge for a long time afterwards which makes it hard to get back to sleep (this morning I didn't at all). This is an autonomic reaction so there is no way I can use cognitive coping strategies like I can in the daytime for panic reactions. Neither does it help to put in earplugs as that just makes me feel more vulnerable, I do seem to need to be aware of my environment.

Are there any strategies for this sort of reaction?
Carmina, I am glad to hear you understand the importance of sleep in regulating your mood and mental health. Is is possible to alter your sleep schedule? How long have you been living like this?

Sometimes, I feel something similar to what you are describing. My mind, relaxed, wonders and corrects itself almost immediately. That happens to me at night and not in the early morning and it is a total bummer. Deep breathing exercises help me with that. Also, I want to try the suggestions mentioned in the previous posts. I think my environment(along with my happy pup) could use Soundscapes, maybe before you know your mind will become hyperactive and search for peace of mind. Have you thought about embracing your hypervigilance?
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky