View Single Post
Waterloo12345

Member Since Sep 2018
250 hugs
given
Default Jan 15, 2019 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2.0 View Post
I've been thinking about behavioral reactions to emotional events and wondering how far the concept of self harm stretches. We tend to think of it as specific and deliberate pain/injuries caused to the body, but I also think emotional eating or drinking can be self harm if it is overused for putting a lid on uncomfortable feelings. Sometimes this is necessary and useful and helpful "containment," where there is a difference between a temporary boxing up and a permanent ignoring of difficult feelings and thoughts. Sometimes it is comforting, and certainly a cup of coffee won't ruin a lifetime of good sleeping, nor will a box of cookies give you diabetes , nor will a beer ruin your good health. I also think things that do not directly impact the body can also be self harm, like drunk texting your ex and leaving a VM that you want them back, or reaching out to a friend who freaks out when you are struggling, and you always end up feeling worse afterwards. For me, I can't imagine living a life where every minute is spent doing things that are only good for me and my body, mind, spirit. I sometimes enjoy things that are harmful to me, and I sometimes think the key is to avoid having a big sense of guilt about it, and just accept it.
I take an elastic view of self harm. It's less the action - which can be all the things you mentioned and exercise, working excessively etc, if its done to hide, bury, ignore difficult feelings and thoughts. Obvs it is a continuum as sometimes a bit of distraction is good but there is a sphere when it becomes self harm I think.
Waterloo12345 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket, Out There