View Single Post
Betty_Banana
Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
314 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 15, 2019 at 10:46 AM

My therapist suggested that when my siblings talked about the past or about our parents that I tell them I didn't want to talk about it/them and change the subject.He said if I was talking on the phone to make it clear to whoever I was talking to and keep reminding them and if they kept doing it find an excuse to hang up.If it was in person,remind them and if it continued then walk away or find an excuse to leave.I tried to do that but it didn't really work.One sibling would continue doing it no matter how many times I reminded her.Sometimes during phone conversations I had to remind her 5 times.I finally gave up and cut her out of my life.

Things would get very chaotic and unstable being around and talking to family members and I didn't realize just how destructive and triggering they all were until my therapist helped me see it.Whenever I had contact with them I had lost time,it was hard to function,I had problems in every area of my life including my job.Setting boundaries with them was a necessity and something I had to try and stick to.

Even now,after integration,I limit my contact and avoid those conversations.It's still all so triggering and destructive for me and instantly causes PTSD symptoms for me.

You sure were brave to let your family know about the DID.I never told my family.I can't imagine how much worse it had been if I would have.My suggestion is you might want to try setting boundaries and telling people you don't want to talk about childhood or your parents and do what you have to do in order to take care of yourself.
Betty_Banana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
FearLess47

Thanks for this!
Amyjay, FearLess47, manyinsiders