Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2017
665 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 15, 2019 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo12345 View Post
I agree that talking about something is v v v unlikely to effect change itself. For me, we talk, then I perhaps understand more or get a different perspective, then I force my self to act in a different way to reflect this new perspective. Or we talk about theory and I began to recognise emotional states and try and respond mindfully instead of just being swept along. So for me there is always action out of the talk. I agree with someone else that said you didn't really do therapy with your t so perhaps your antipathy to it is not reasonable? I mean has a rational basis - not an insult.

My initial reaction is that it would be difficult to do therapy just for one issue as issues are probably interrelated. But then you did that for grief and it worked (for the grief) so maybe it's a good way for you. We are all different.

I do hope you continue to find a way out - Am with Anne on the you are defo moving forward well and not in a closed off fashion. Much better than I would so I'm like wowww.
We did SOME therapy, most of the sessions were not but we did sometimes, esp with the grief and phobias. I don't like opening up about things, the avoidant thing so that's why therapy isn't for me. I for sure frustrated him at times, he would try to get me to talk about things and I'd shut down. Over and over and over. I wanted to change the topic so we did.

Not sure I'm moving forward, I feel stuck in the same mental cycle. Who knows though.