Albatross2008
Grand Poohbah

Albatross2008 has no updates.

5 yr Member
342 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 15, 2019 at 03:19 PM

"Your emotions don't have to match mine. Just because I'm feeling a certain way doesn't mean you should also feel the same way I do. Feelings aren't right or wrong."

Detailed:

"Just because I'm having anxiety, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It's good for you to branch out and try new things. My fear is for me to deal with."
---Instead of, "No, I don't want you to do that because I'm too nervous about it." (Example, teenager going out on a date, or learning to drive, or going camping with the scout troop, or joining a school sports team, or any other normal part of life.)

"I'm not afraid because I've been in this situation before, and I feel safe. But it's a new experience for you. I understand your fear. You'll get through it, and then it won't feel so scary anymore."
---Instead of, "There's nothing to be afraid of. Quit being such a baby." (Example, child is nervous on the first day of school.)

"Maybe you know something I don't. Can you explain to me why you don't like Mr. Neighbor?" Then, assuming it's something relatively harmless instead of an actual danger, "Oh, so you find it annoying the way he snorts through his nose. Why do you suppose he does that?"
---Instead of, "Don't be so rude. Mr. Neighbor is a nice man. He can't help the way he snorts through his nose. He has a sinus condition. Have some compassion."

"You like X, but I don't. I like Y, and you don't. Everybody's different. We don't have to agree."
Albatross2008 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote