seeker33
Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2017
1,603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 16, 2019 at 03:13 AM

Hi, welcome to the community! :-)
Yes I have the same issues and haven't learned how to overcome them fully yet. However I'm slowly learning coping skills and mindfulness that help me feel more relaxed which I guess will eventually lead to feeling better with people. Definitely, taking up new hobbies is helping in small talk! Going for walks in nature (my new hobby) made it possible to practise small talk with random tourists. Usually people who walk in the forest are friendly and calm and in good mood. Once I couldn't cross a tiny damaged bridge over a stream and a complete stranger offered to help me and he held my hand. It felt very awkward and weird since I absolutely hate being touched. But he was so nice and relaxed and "normal" about it that I agreed. I felt very proud of myself and it increased my self esteem (he didn't think i was ugly, didn't laugh about my body and didn't hurt me!).

I think maybe the first step is connecting to your own body. Ptsd is primarily a physical and neurological injury. So it is essential to incorporate physical approach, too.

Things like yin yoga (a type of slow and relaxing yoga-videos on YouTube ), Tai chi, somatic experiencing (video course can be googled), strength training, walking or jogging.
Mindfulness is great for me. Read a book Full catastrophe living by Kabat-Zinn. Then find body scan meditations on YouTube.

Other very helpful books: Pete Walker, Body keeps the score, right now in reading L. Heller - healing developmental trauma
Be active on this forum, join fb groups about ptsd.
Be gentle with yourself and be prepared that this will take time. That's OK.

The most important thing in this is feeling your pain and making peace with the past AND getting pleasant and positive experiences in the present. Both are important. Don't deny the past and allow yourself to cry and be angry in a safe way. Get those emotions out! Write angry letters, tear papers, punch your pillow, imagine beating and kicking your abusers. Or imagine the stressful situation in your mind and then physically run away from it. You must allow your body to finish the fight or flight reaction it couldn't finish in the past. So go to your room and do those fight or flight movements with your body and imagine alternative ending to your trauma. This will heal your brain and release the stuck energy. Do this for only a short time and only as often as it won't be too stressful! It's better to do less!!! Be gentle with this and stop when it's too much.
Every day go and do something very relaxing and calming and enjoy the present.
Repeat many times slowly and gradually. Connect with your friends and enjoy your time with them even when you don't feel like it. Get artistic! Music is healing, too. Do some nice skincare routine, dress nicely, try a new perfume. Eat something healthy and tasty. These seem trivial but it's extremely important to experience small joys every single day and connect to life in all your senses and creativity!
The healing will take a long time but you'll feel better eventually.

I love nature, simplicity and minimalism
seeker33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous41006, HD7970GHZ, KYWoman, may24

Thanks for this!
alittlelikemusic, HD7970GHZ, KYWoman, may24, TishaBuv