Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 16, 2019 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeTonight View Post
I also find myself using some words/phrases he uses and a couple gestures, like pointing at someone when agreeing with them, kinda like "You got it." Then I notice what I'm doing and am like "agh!"
Good topic, OP, quite creative.

I do a version of this too, and it kind of reminds me of when my son was younger and I'd hear things come out of my mouth just like my mother said them (my mother was not abusive but a pretty typical working mom of the 1970's, making food plans and saving coupons). I recall telling my son not to run in the house and then backtracked and thought, why not? Then it was "don't run with scissors" but they were plastic handled nose tipped flimsies, so I stopped that too.

But I very much like one thing that T says, and I've adopted it. He says, "as a man of a certain age (he's a decade older than me)" . . . usually to preface some physical frailties like an imperfect memory. I have found that the men I deal with, such as my auto mechanic, think saying something like "as a woman of a certain age, I shouldn't be driving on the road during snow" is hilarious, and chuckle in a way that pleases me. It works when excusing myself to go to the restroom, too.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, Merope