Rive1976
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Mar 2018
144 hugs
given
Default Jan 18, 2019 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
to understand this you will need to understand how the brain works. you can find you tube videos on the brain or visit physical health websites that have this kind of information, colleges also have classes that teach how the brain works and how it stores memories and so on.

in the mean time here's an experiment my own treatment provider used to explain things to me...

take a container, any container. the container represents the brain.

in this container put in many different things. I used sand, water, pebbles, mini objects like toy rings, toy car, scraps of fabric... these represent everything in experiences and what the senses (sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste) tell the brain...in other words everything that a memory is.

now after filling that container to its fullest try and put in something else that is very important to you. (I tried to put in gem stones for the treasures of my life)

then watch what happens.... either the last batch of important items would not go in or it over flows knocking out previously stored in the container stuff.

the brain works like that.. it sends everything we experience and everything the senses are telling the brain about our lives, decides whats important at that moment and keeps what is important and what may not be important goes to short term memory and forgotten. this way the real important stuff goes to long term memory to be stored for ever.

taking a ..........guess not diagnosing.......... that for some reason your brain decided that you didnt need to remember forever what you talked about with this past therapist...

this is actually a normal thing. I have had many treatment providers and I never remember anything about what I did with those from 5-10 and 20 years ago. even now I am integrated and I still dont remember things from therapy that long ago, why because it wasnt important to me.

I do know that if I ever have any questions all I need to do is contact those treatment providers and ask to see my records they kept on me. here in america it is the rights of patients to have copies of their records that their treatment providers keep/ have kept on them while they are/ were in treatment with them.

suggestion maybe you can contact this therapist and let them know you have questions and maybe the files will give you the answers you are looking for.
My files were destroyed. Thats why I asked her to call my new therapist and signed a waiver. I am basically just going off what she remembers. If she can remember and sees many many people why cant I?
Rive1976 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote