View Single Post
FearfulMother

Member Since Jan 2019
Default Jan 19, 2019 at 05:49 AM

Sorry to hear that. My first cousin is also going through the same thing. When she was a child, she heard some people say "i can not imagine something moving inside of me" (that was one trigger) and the other one was when that comedian Chelsea Handler said "I don't think I would ever be able to carry the baby to full term, I would feel so trapped". She keeps on repeating these 2 thoughts and I don't know how to help her.

Last year she was pregnant and miscarried because of the abnormalities (Trisomy) and before she was referred to an abortion, the doctors told her "You can not get an abortion until the committee approves the diagnosis" and she freaked out. She could not imagine that she was trapped with something inside of her without having the control to expel it or keep it or to do what she wanted. May be she is a little controlling but this was really a traumatic experience for her. Please don't judge.

Anyhow, she was pregnant 3 times. First time the feeling was good and she felt proud but her husband wanted her to abort, so she did. Later on they decided to have children, and she had two miscarriages. First was early in pregnancy and the second one was at 4m. She was ok with it at 3,5m but then they told her something was wrong with the fetus and for her, even thought she later on cried and felt deep sorrow, she still felt relieved.

Now that she is supposed to be doing ivf, she is afraid that "what if she changes her mind in the middle of the pregnancy?" or "how will she react when she feels the kicks of the baby for the first time, will she freak out?". This is a sensitive issue and she tried talking to a therapist but without much success. She can not talk to her husband or anyone else since the society does not understand this kind of fear.

I thought that may be this is because she generally a person with low self esteem? Or may be because her own mother was not really a warm person and she never developed a warm relationship with her? I don't know what to tell her. She is at the borderline age where if she does not do it soon, I am afraid she won't be able to do it later-at least not naturally.

She has this one IVF shot now or never. OK, may be not never because the IVF she can do later, a month, two from now. In the meantime, I don't know what to tell her what to do and how to calm her down. Ironically, she does want to have a child (her own) and she knows that she will be a great mother once the baby is "out". I know that too because she is a very nice, warm and rational person. Together we visited many websites and we came across a term Tocophobia, but other than defining it, we didn't come across any answers on how to deal with it and what to do. Like i said, she was fine past 14 weeks, may be this was the answer for her, that she would be ok, but now again that she is preparing for the pregnancy, she is freaking out with all of the questions I mentioned at the beginning.

She is for some reason not connecting to the idea of being pregnant in a way other women do. She is also generally doubtful of people (had a hard life, turbulent upbringing etc) and I am thinking may be she is doubtful of people, human beings in general? I am not a psychologist so I don't know what to say and how to help her. She asked me recently "what if I decide to terminate the pregnancy at 25 weeks, where can i go, where can i do it?" Together we searched the net, thinking may be if I give her answers and security in light of “you can control what to do with your body (gave her names of the clinics where they perform late abortions) that this would calm her down and actually make her want the baby, and it did somewhat but only until week 22 or so. This is where her “25 week question” comes from .

Like I said, her biggest fear is of being pregnant itself. Are there any other women/couples who have gone through this? Any psychologists or other women with similar fears she could may be talk/contact online? How can this anxiety be overcome? Please help. Educated and empathetic responses will be most appreciated.

Last edited by CANDC; Jan 19, 2019 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: paragraph breaks
FearfulMother is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous57363, MickeyCheeky