Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,341 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 19, 2019 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannahsays View Post
I guess I just don't understand why she said it because if I'm worried about somebody, that's not how I express myself.
Would you care to share what you would say instead? I'm looking to compare what would be different. You seem to use language very well, so it seems strange to me that what sounds like pretty standard expressions would somehow trouble you. You might be over-thinking a bit. Pardon me for saying that. I've often been told that I over-think things, and being told that was never helpful to me. But it just strikes me that you may be doing that.

When someone thinks heavy on what has been said, I think it's an attempt to know more than you can know. It takes time (like, maybe, years even) to really know what another person thinks about you, and that includes therapists. Also, it takes the therapist time to come to know who you are and what their opinion of who you are is. You might be trying to rush that.

I haven't yet read every post above, but I will. Saying "I'm concerned about you." seems pretty straight-forward to me. You reported a classic symptom of depression that is fairly serious. So the T was saying, "It sounds like you're not doing well and - more significantly - you're not on a path toward doing better. That is concerning.

A program of recovery doesn't produce immediate contentment with life. But going in a positive direction tends to manifest as a change in habits of daily living. I'm not into daily showering, even when I'm feeling well . . . but for me, like for most people, a week of not showering/bathing would mean I'm caught in the grips of a downturn that is really defeating me.

Here's what's concerning. If you're not showering this week, what won't you be doing next week? Maybe, next week, eating won't seem to matter. What matters is the trajectory. Going days without a shower is unlikely to hurt you, but losing interest in self-care does eventually become dangerous. That's what is concerning.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
SlumberKitty, susannahsays