View Single Post
Anonymous57363
Anonymous57363 has no updates. Edit

Default Jan 20, 2019 at 07:59 PM

Hello Pfrog. I am a healthcare professional and I read your letter. Thank you for sharing your truth. I am sorry you are in chronic pain and dealing with the loss of favorite activities and a different lifestyle. That does indeed sound like something you would grieve

I think your letter is very important. I've had a lot of patients who live in chronic pain and although I cannot know what it feels like for them...I can certainly provide gentle empathy and kindness.

As far as practitioners go, well, we're human right? Some of us are great at our jobs and some of us are...not. As a patient myself, I've had several negative experiences with MDs...sometimes related to my depression/anxiety and once even from a urologist (dealing with interstitial cystitis) who was very inappropriate. I even had a MD tell me that my insomnia was my own fault because I didn't get up early enough on weekends. Cheers Doc! Problem solved

There are great providers out there, many have been my colleagues, and I am so sorry that you were on the receiving end of the folks lacking empathy or insight. Unfortunately, I have met some healthcare professionals who have a bias against folks with chronic pain and assume it isn't real or that it's exaggerated somehow etc. Always blows my mind when a human decides that they know what another human is actually feeling and negates the self-report. I've also seen a bias from some providers against folks struggling with chemical dependence. As humans, we all have our biases but when we are given the honor of caring for others we must monitor our biases and separate them from the work. I never met a patient who came to me for assessment and/or treatment hoping that I would judge their truth, their choices, or their life.

I wonder if you are interested in the research on chronic pain? If you're not already familiar that is There are folks working hard to research it's effect on the neural pathways and endeavoring to develop new solutions which patients can tolerate. I went to a presentation given by two PTs (I'm not a PT myself) on the complexity of chronic pain and the many effects on the brain. It's really important research.

Never stop giving providers your feedback (calmly of course ) That is how we error-correct, adapt, and evolve as clinicians. I have my own provider assessment form which I give to all patients. They rate me before they leave the clinic...things like did you feel cared for....what could I have done better...what did I do well...were your unique needs met? etc.

Thank you again for your letter. I currently have some time off work but when I return I will be reminding myself of your letter every time I meet a new patient. Truly.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous41006