Forums at Psych Central - View Single Post - What if one cannot conceptualize "soothing"?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 09:34 PM
Poohbah

Poohbah
piggy momma loves all pigs. ALL. THE. PIGS.

70 hugs
given
Default Re: What if one cannot conceptualize "soothing"?

This is an interesting question. I too suffer from an attachment disorder (Iím anxious attached). It took me a very long time to learn some self-soothing techniques and Iím still learning, because I prefer to pop a pill to suppress the anxiety and other feels that come up.

I think the first and most obvious step is to work with a therapist who specializes in attachment and learn some self-soothing techniques. Things I do include sitting in front of the fireplace (even in the summer. - I will turn it on and sit in front of it), go to Starbucks and get a latte, snuggle with one of my animals, have a nap (this helps me both self-soothe and avoid negative feelings), go for a massage or hair appt, text my therapist or try to book an extra session.

As a single person in my mid-40s who has never been in a relationship, I donít know what it would be like to have someone else soothe me. That concept is completely foreign to me.
piggy momma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says: