Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 22, 2019 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrad123 View Post
I feel like he’s explained it differently each time I’ve asked which is why it’s fuzzy to me. Part of is that I was expressing a lot via email, and not much in session so I think he wanted to bring stuff into session. That makes some sense to me. I think he also felt like I was “regressing” sometimes in emails and that he was supporting that by responding. Whatever the reason, I certainly don’t want to ask him to do something that doesn’t feel right to him, but I thought an occasional brief comforting response might be ok. Apparently not.
I think he has explained it very clearly, as you've articulate above. It doesn't sound fuzzy at all to me, but feeling that way seems to fuel this perception of yours that he will respond when he's said very clearly for weeks now that he won't. He didn't say he would do "an occasional brief comforting response." Perhaps as long as you continue to hold some irrational belief that he will respond, if only you can figure out some way to construct your email or your need for a response in the right way. It feels like you have some magical thinking about this, that somewhere there's a loophole in the very clear message you've been given by him. It's just a simple no. No exceptions.

You are doing nothing wrong by emailing and asking for a response. He didn't say you couldn't continue to email and ask for one, and if he is uncomfortable, he can deal with his emotions. That's not your problem.

What does seem to be your issue is somehow you're living in a fantasy where he doesn't say what he means and means what he says. Is this often true for you (rhetorical question, of course you don't have to answer) where people don't say what they mean, or where you don't say what you mean to others?

Maybe you're getting something out of this frustration you're setting up for yourself. Maybe you need to spin this out until you're done. That's where the irrational can often be rational and/or beneficial. From the outside, I'm like "dude, he's been really clear, and has been from the beginning. Your belief otherwise is irrational, as is your continuing to email and expect a response. So what's the payoff?"
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
ArtleyWilkins, elisewin, susannahsays