View Single Post
Bewilderbeast
Bewilderbeast has no updates.

10 yr Member
Default Jan 23, 2019 at 03:57 PM

I am very new here but have had G.A.D on and off for 20+ years, my worst (to date) nearly a year ago where I couldnt get out of bed & had nothing but water for 2 periods of 9 days duration. I do also have depression, and previously I have seen a Psychiatrist - good, Psychotherapist - terrible and a CBT counsellor - Incredible! (I'm obviously not condeming all Psychotherapists - just the awful one I was unlucky enough to c hoose at that time.

CBT was fantastic, I didn't unearth any deep, dark causes and I still do not know what triggers my G.A.D but when it hits, it hits hard and fast for no apparent, conscious reason I can find. However CBT did facilitate my understanding of some issues, that prior to this therapy I would not have consciously recognised as 'issues.' Im now in training to become a Psychtherapist / counsellor myself.

For WishfulThinker66, I deeply empathise, & whereas I appreciate it is not at all easy, if your job is leaving you in what seems to be an almost permanent state of anxiety, do you have any options to change jobs? take some time off? For you and darkside8 a few years back I learnt a couple of simple tricks that really helped my anxiety levels & persistence.

1. from CBT: you cant control or change the things that cause your anxiety, but you can control your own emotions, thoughts & behaviours: the next time a 'trigger' arises down automatically follow the same pattern you usually do. Stop, think to yourself ok 'X' has happened / is going to happen & there's nothing I can do to prevent that, acknowledge and accept that fact first. But then say to yourself ' I can, and I will control how it makes me feel and behave.. almost like counting to 10. My CBT counsellor called it the ABC: A - Action - the trigger of your anxiety (no control.) B - Behaviour - what do I do / think when 'X' happens? (you have full control over this,) and C - Consequences - try your best to say ok, I cant control this - it will happen regardless, so why should I worry about it if theres nothing I can do to stop the 'A'ction occuring.

2. Briefly, I try to put a mental 2 column list 'in front of my eyes. On one side, your choice are the things said, done, going to happen to me today that I cannot control, maybe someone cuts you up in the car or jumps a queue etc. I cant control these so im not going to worry about them. 2nd column Things I can control My reactions, thoughts feelings. someone knocks into me on the street - I cant control that but I can pause, think and control my actions / reactions - e.g Instead of confronting, I just let it go... I hope im not 'teaching either of you to 'suck eggs' as we say, but these 2 simple exercises work for me and the more I do the calmer I am. Best of Luck and Good Wishes to you both.

Last edited by CANDC; Jan 23, 2019 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: paragraph breaks
Bewilderbeast is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky