AspiringAuthor
Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2017
374 hugs
given
Default Jan 23, 2019 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat86 View Post
I think its more of a chemical imbalance issue due to my bipolar and not really a cognitive behavioral issue.

plus I am not good with the whole journaling thing
A tiny dose of Topamax worked like magic for this. For me it is also a chemical issue and I am also not into CBT or journalling.

12.5 of Topamax (which I started taking to ameliorate weight gain from Zyprexa, my main bipolar med) softened these thoughts a lot.

25 mg of Topamax erased them altogether.

And come to think about it, it makes sense - if a common side effect of Topamax is that it slows down thoughts, causes an occasional word recall problem, then it would only be logical that it would stop racing thoughts. If my problem is thinking that is too fast, I need a medication that slows it down.

I did not expect this effect - it was sudden and welcome. I also started losing some of the weight I had gained on Zyprexa.

Stillness and calm, yay.

Originally Topamax is an anticonvulsant, so you do not have any counter-indications for it.

My only regret is that I had not started it years ago.

Zyprexa Zydis 5 mg
Gabapentin 1200 mg
Melatonin 10 mg
Levoxyl 75 mcg (because I took Lithium in the past)

past medications: Depakote, Lamictal, Lithium, Seroquel, Trazodone, Risperdal, Cogentin, Remerol, Prozac, Amitriptyline, Ambien, Lorazepam, Klonopin, Saphris, Trileptal, Clozapine and Clozapine+Wellbutrin, Topamax
AspiringAuthor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
pat86