Thread: Reassurance?
View Single Post
saidso
Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2018
165 hugs
given
Default Jan 24, 2019 at 03:44 AM

Thank you very much Wishful Thinker. This is a deep need, and working with it isn't straightforward or easy. I look forward to learning - at least first thing this morning I feel more hopeful.

One strange thing I noticed...is that when I felt "OK" two/ three weeks ago, I was actually "escaping" through playing computer games. So methinks I'm interpreting this feeling as "worse" because I've stopped avoiding it.

I think this lies behind a lot of my deep vulnerabilities in therapy and in relationships. I do have a "gut feeling" which guides me, but being OK requires a lot more attentiveness than just survival. It's deep, not just like "you stole my oranges".

I don't know where this is going, but I am also noticing how different "OK" is for different adult people - but I wonder whether the basic child need behind that is the same?

Not analysing so much as listening and paying attention to what this need might give me that is positive. I didn't use to pay attention to being hungry, and now I notice and respond to that better.

Life can be desperate for adults, and how can they then communicate okayness to their children?
saidso is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky