View Single Post
anxiousgal
anxiousgal has no updates.

5 yr Member
Unhappy Jan 24, 2019 at 11:20 PM

I had a doozy of a panic attack 26 years ago that triggered a severe panic disorder. It's was the memory of that intense fear just stuck with me and I was in a constant state of fear and panic. No attacks, just constant adrenaline coursing through me. I thought my life was doomed. Nothing I did would stop the fear. I tried cognitive therapy but that was useless. My doctor put me on meds and I found a good support group which helped me to go on functioning thank God. But over the years, the meds I were on would seem to fizzle out or I would try coming off of them just to see if I could do without. After a couple of weeks, I would fall right back into my panicky state which is just about the scariest place to be in. I have tried so many antidepressants over the years that now I fear my brain is forever altered which of course makes me panic! I often wonder if the next med I try will even work!

My question is, for those of you with panic disorder, have you ever tried to stop medication and not have the fear come back? I do not have out of the blue panic attacks, just constant anticipatory anxiety. My doctor years ago said it fell into an OCD disorder. Probably so because my brain can't stop obsessing about the fear. It's the fear of fear that I seem to have. I recently stopped Lexapro, the sixth antidepressant I've been on over the years and it's back again. My tolerance to benzo's is pretty high and they don't even work anymore. I'm not afraid to move on to another med but how many changes can the brain handle? I would like to give my brain a break for awhile!

Are any of you lifer's on your meds? Have you made changes over the years and found the changes to be effective? I'm seeing my doctor on Tuesday (if I can make it until then) and not even sure what to try next that I can tolerate and will work. Right now I am experiencing bad withdrawal symptoms from Lexapro which is making my panic worse! My worst fear is "what if" meds stop working. It's awful.
anxiousgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote