Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2015
1,043 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 25, 2019 at 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizi View Post
After talking with the sponsor we decided that I was not an alcoholic.
So I am not going to go to AA meetings nor meet with her again.
She was a very lovely lady and I wished her the best.
bizi

You don't have to be an alcoholic to attend AA meetings, or even work the steps, or have a sponsor. I once had a problem with alcohol during my divorce. I went to AA for 18 months every Friday for support throughout my divorce, and to not drink. I had a problem with alcohol and needed the support of AA but I never did anything but show up. I also was the "coffee person" a lot, and I made cakes for those who celebrated sobriety dates of 3 months, 6 months, and a year.

It worked well for me, and I eventually felt I didn't need meetings, and I was sober for ten years - no problem. I didn't label myself an alcoholic because I didn't feel the need. I just wanted to not drink. That was my objective. And for ten years I was quite happy with that and never labeled myself alcoholic.

After ten years I decided to try social drinking. After ten years that first beer was...very nice. But my relationship to drinking had changed. I wasn't as into it at all.

I found that when I am in a stressful place in my life I can't drink because I tend to over-drink. If I am in a balanced place I find it easy to drink socially. But I just made it a rule to not drink when stressed and eventually I lost all desire to drink. I would rather eat my calories than drink them. I also established a very clean diet and alcohol didn't fit in with it.

Now I don't drink at all. I have pretty strong opinions now about alcohol and don't think it is good for anyone, even in moderation. It is unnecessary and can be problematic.

If I may make a suggestion...work hard at self care and maybe the desire to drink will abate. Avoid triggers.

Most of all - and this is just my opinion - get rid of labels. Whether or not you are an alcoholic is moot. You simply don't want to drink. It is like any other habit...you either give it power...or you don't.

I found out the hard way that a lot of people in AA lie about their sobriety. So you can't count on others, really.

If alcohol is not enhancing your life...just eliminate it. I am certain you can do it because you seem like a very strong-willed person.

I have to eliminate certain foods because they are addictive. Mostly processed carbs. I just consider alcohol in the same category. It plays havoc with blood sugar levels.

Although I attended AA I have come to believe that addiction is not something one is powerless over. It is for a reason we became addicted...to manage emotional pain, mostly. So yeah, if you have emotional pain, it is difficult, often, to stay sober, but not impossible.

I no longer break down and drink when stressed. Alcohol just isn't on my radar and I love being sober because it gives me a sense of efficacy and control.

Good luck. This is just my opinion. Once you "break the back" of an addiction (by repeatedly refraining from the substance) it won't have the same power.

Don't give away your power, Bizi. You can do this. Just believe you can, do it, and of course don't be too hard on yourself in other areas (like dieting) at this time.

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi, MickeyCheeky, Sunflower123

Thanks for this!
bizi, Guiness187055, MickeyCheeky