View Single Post
Anonymous52222
Anonymous52222 has no updates. Edit

Default Jan 26, 2019 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlym View Post
I feel like I'm "performing" at every one of them, trying to appear more social than what I actually am. Trying to say the right thing. Trying not to say too much. I have a tendency to overthink, and to give people too much information too. I have had to learn to read body language and speech inflections from others, and when it seems like I have made a mistake, I shut down and shut up.

Oh man this sentence rings so true for me on so many levels.

I still have this problem in high pressure social situations like job interviews. I simply don't know what to say and when, don't know when to make eye contact and when not to, don't know how to sit, what kind of facial expressions to make, or when and how to shake hands. The only way I can even function in a job interview is if I take a lot of time in advance to "plan" and practice how I'm going to say things and when and researching what kind of questions are typically asked in interviews at that company so I can plan accordingly. If they through an oddball question at me that I'm unprepared to answer, I flat out freeze up and panic. Thing is I am really good with computers and tech so I would be qualified for a good paying job in the IT field, if it wasn't for my garbage job interviewing skills.

I'm also very socially awkward. Think of your average 90s computer geek, that's me in a nutshell. I have learned, mainly through difficult practice, how to connect with people on a personal level. I can make friends to some extent now, particularly among people who are geeks, gamers, and other weirdos like me. I can also be very entertaining around people that I know. I can't approach strangers that I have no prior knowledge about without sounding like a socially inept weirdo. This is especially true for attractive women because I flat out get nervous around them the same way like I get nervous in job interviews.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote