View Single Post
still_crazy
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2016
3,342 hugs
given
Default Jan 26, 2019 at 02:52 PM

hi. i've recently been prescribed a low dose of gabapentin for this sorts of 'issues,' and...it helps. i might end up being prescribed a higher dose as an add-on 'mood stabilizer,' since im apparently "too prone to mania" for an antidepressant Rx.

lyrica is the new(er), more potent drug that's a lot like gabapentin, but its Schedule V controlled substance (to put this in perspective, amphetamines are Schedule II, Klonopin and friends are Schedule IV), its pricey, not generic, and...it can be dosed 2x per day, while gabapentin often requires 3x daily dosing.

there's also good ole benzodiazepines. I had a friendly acquaintance who was prescribed Klonopin to help simmer down, tame the OC-disease. He'd talk with me about it...he seemed kinda sedated and such at 3mgs/day, but then the shrink put him on something ridiculous...like 5 or 6mgs/day, and...

not so much. he's since tapered off, I think he does cbt. a friend's father has bipolar i, and his psych doc prescribes valium at a low dose for agitation and obsessions, and as needed restoril for night time use. klonopin seems more popular than valium, but valium is easier to taper. its also more sedating and i think it doesnt cause depression as often as Klonopin, but I could be wrong.

if its horribly awful and intolerable, maybe a low dose of an as-needed neuroleptic/antipsychotic? when i was not doing well, i had the option of taking a little bit of risperidone, at night, on top of my usual stuff. not ideal, but when i needed it, it did get the job done.
still_crazy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
AspiringAuthor