View Single Post
amandalouise
Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 26, 2019 at 11:01 PM

Just something I noticed in this thread... poster is asking whether "dissociation" affects whether a person can open or close jars....

the thread is not asking whether people can have "alters" that are strong or weak...

here where I am the definition of "dissociation" is feeling numb spaced out and disconnected as a result of being triggered.

example... I sometimes feel numb, spaced out and disconnected during thunder storms.... but this does not affect whether I can open or close jars.

Another example... fear of heights causes me to dissociate (feel numb, spaced out and disconnected) but this does not affect whether I can open a water bottle while standing on a mountain summit after hiking up a mountain trail and looking down from the summit.

Yes I had alters that some could open jars and bottles and others could not but this was not because of strength. it was because that was their sense of agency, who and what they were did not require them to be the bottle and jar openers....

example part of Rainys sense of agency was being be able to change out of wet clothing after a rain storm, make something to eat, get something to drink and sit down with a blanket to watch tv (all of which entails being able to work buttons and zippers, untie shoes, open a jar of peanutbutter and jelly, bread, open the milk jug, pour a glass or cup of milk...

where as Reds sense of agency was to hold and express anger which did not entail making meals, changing clothing, so Red did not and could not open jars and bottles. not because this alter was not strong enough but because it wasnt their job, purpose reason for being created.

again just pointing out that the OP was not asking whether being alters causes a person to lose their strength. they asked if "dissociation" caused a person to not be able to open bottles and jars... not being able to open jars and bottles is not a symptom or side effect of dissociation.

which is why my answer was and is no. my dissociating (feeling numb, spaced out and disconnected because of being triggered) did not affect whether I could or could not open jars and bottles.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote