View Single Post
Anonymous52222

Default Jan 27, 2019 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlym View Post
My IT skills came in the form of an IT: Information Systems degree. It was a a very broad IT degree, including programming, analyst, business and networking technologies. I was most comfortable with the analyst aspect because that was related to my previous 17 years of experience in an ERP environment with SAP. I would do well with programming, but I need so much more education for that. My degree was such a broad overview of everything. In the industries I have previous experience in, I became a supervisor and trainer, working with other people everyday to train them on our ERP software, as well as training them to do a job using our software. I was really good in those areas because I am a patient person, and I never became impatient with other people that needed information. I think that's why I succeeded so long before my place of business shut down. I was always available and attentive to other people. I never treated anyone like they were "stupid" or "ignorant". They could ask me anything, and I would oblige. Coding has become a big business, and there are so many different languages to learn. It's just so expansive. I would be good in that field. I just need so much more education there. What I know is so limited.

I would say see if your local library offers a free Lynda.com subscription. If you want to learn programming, or brush up your other IT skills, that is a good place to start. If you can't get Lynda.com for free, it's more than worth the $30 per month.

If you can't get Lynda.com for free and you can't afford the monthly fee, either see if there are any tech meetups in your area where you can learn new skills and network with people, or learn from codeacademy.

Fact is, you can become a good coder or programmer without college. You can self teach yourself for free. It is entirely possible to get a job if you're self taught as a programmer. I know one person, for example, who got a job as a software engineer without a formal education. He taught himself everything he knew about programming and was able to prove to the hiring managers that he knew his stuff by taking their tests. Guess what? Two years later, he's making a 6 figure salary.

So it's possible to learn on your own. You just got to believe in yourself
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote