Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
1,231 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 28, 2019 at 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilloche View Post

I find it insane that, given the low risks and possibility of "curing" something (versus just treating symptoms with medication) that it's not more well known and used. I think that there are probably politics involved (for example, it wouldn't surprise me if drug companies were against it, because people often are able to stop taking medication when they do neurofeedback) - which just sucks. From an insurance perspective, it's also probably more "difficult" to administer (if you see someone in person, you have to go at least 2x/week, and you might need 40-60+ sessions) versus giving you a pill and sending you home.
i agree...i find it frustrating that NFB isn't more accessible and affordable for people to do. honestly, i don't think i would have tried it, or even thought of it, if it was for trauma expert Bessel van Der Kolk discussing it (and specifically talking about Sebern Fisher) in his book, 'The Body Keep the Score'. i believe it is starting to get a little more attention than it use to, and fortunately, some insurance companies in the states are starting to see the benefits of covering it, but it is still slow to get the same attention that other modalities, like EMDR and DBT, have received over the years in helping with trauma. that is probably due to the fact that most of the research into NFB has been for ADD/ADHD over the years and the research in regards to the benefits for truama is definilty lacking in comparison. plus, i also wonder if the concept of 'hooking' ones brain up to a computer to play a game feels a bit off putting, strange, or too impersonal to some people as a form of therapy. for me, to help overcome this, i thought of it more as a form of physical therapy that my brain needed to help heal the damage my early childhood truama had caused.
koru_kiwi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
guilloche