View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Jan 28, 2019 at 01:42 PM

Hi thenewexperience. I can't know how long (or even if) you will experience the brain fog you mentioned. I can't know which medication (if the medications) is causing it. I have never taken Latuda to be able to share my experiences with that, and even if I had, your experience could be different. I have taken 1200 to 1400 mg of Tegretol XR for the last almost 9 years. My personal experience follows.

When I first started Tegretol XR, I did experience some issues. Honestly, I forget exactly what all of them were, with the exception of some blurry and double vision I experienced intermittently. I will say that as I grew used to the medication, the uncomfortable side effects went away, including the vision issues. Now I have negligible side effects from Tegretol XR. Maybe a touch of clumsiness, but I guess that's all. It's no big deal for me. I am extremely fond of Tegretol XR (carbamazepine ER) because it got rid of some horrible musical hallucinations I experienced, as well as some other issues. I think it has been helpful for preventing mania and keeping my moods level, but I do need Seroquel XR to do the full job.

If your psychiatrist and pharmacist say that taking Tegretol (carbamazepine) with Latuda is OK, then I'd trust that it is likely OK. Tegretol does have a number of drug interactions, but doctors should know which are dangerous, and which can be worked with. For example, my Tegretol XR does have a drug interaction with my Seroquel XR, but the interaction is that it decreases the effectiveness of my Seroquel XR. In my case, that means that I likely need a bit more Seroquel XR than I might have needed if I took Seroquel XR with a medication that didn't have that particular interaction with it, and was equally as effective as Tegretol XR. But I also know that Tegretol (carbamazepine) can decrease the effectiveness of many forms of hormonal birth control. That can definitely be problematic, and is a reason why I (as a woman) chose a copper IUD. Another option is for a man I'd ever sleep with to wear a condom or have a vasectomy.

Carbamazepine ER and Seroquel XR are a great combination for me. I'm grateful for them. Please only take direction about medication usage from your doctor(s). No one on a forum should be telling another member not to take medications properly prescribed to them. Perhaps suggestions to confirm with their prescribing doctor, or get second opinions (such as from a pharmacist), but not telling a member what to do. It is always strongly recommended to let all of your doctors (from gp to psychiatrist to any other doctors) know ALL of the medications and supplements you take.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
AspiringAuthor