View Single Post
rise13eyond

Member Since Aug 2018
120 hugs
given
Default Jan 29, 2019 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyCheeky View Post
I understand how you feel, rise13eyond. Unfortunately these movies do contribute to the MI stigma. I don't think there's any malicious intent behind it, it's probably just lazy writing for the most part. Still, I understand how it could be annoying or dangerous. I think the situation is improving a bit, but some MI, like DID, are still pretty bad for how they're represented on the screen. You're not alone in this. Feel free to PM me anytime. Sending many hugs to you
Lazy or something, I dunno. Not gonna lie though, I've faced quite a bit of judgement over my MIs, even from friends. Forget trying to fit in with other people. I once had someone flat out tell me to never contact them in any way again. Luckily that was pretty easy to do. I'd hate to think what would happen if I had to see these people at the grocery store every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurgam View Post
they play to what works...it's an exaggeration and it sells . gotta go to what will put butts in theaters, people buying games, buying books etc.. mental illness is a wild card...and it works...since conditions vary for each person and such. media tends to use the lack of real knowledge and then exaggerate it as a way to make their product sell..don't forget it's not a research item but for entertainment. kind of like looking at snoopy and saying beagles don't really fly dog houses in real life, but in the cartoon they do..you buy into that in the strip but no one expects a dog to fly buy on a house in reality.
That is a pretty good way of saying it, after all they're looking to entertain not inform. Horror as a genre was never meant to be really realistic. I mean you don't watch horror if you want information if you want that then go watch a documentary. Unfortunately cartoons don't lead people to believe dogs can fly, and if they did it would be fairly harmless. The misinformation people get from media portrayals of MI actually does harm, because these things are presented in way that's meant to be realistic enough to get you to believe such a thing could happen. I mean I know I said horror movies aren't meant to be realistic but the big selling point these days is the whole Oh hey this is scary because it could happen to you! People can be pretty gullible, I mean multiple found footage directors faced actual murder charges because people genuinely believed these films were actual snuff films. Humans for all they've accomplished, aren't always very bright, I guess therein lies part of the problem. The movies where people with MI end up being killers don't always take supernatural angles and instead attempt at a realistic scenario.

We are an awkward little system that obsesses over things. We are Sam, Beyond, Stacy, Kevin, Kitty, Shannon,Link, Peyita, Stephen, Nicole, Damon, Pumpkin, Illonor, Daran,LIly. Feel free to send random cute things.
rise13eyond is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote