Thread: School Refusal
View Single Post
Steph1321
Newly Joined
Steph1321 has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default Feb 08, 2019 at 12:36 AM

Does anyone have any advice/experience with a child having anxiety attacks when going to school? My almost 9 year old daughter just started this last week. Her grades are amazing. I have had in depth conversations with her teacher and counselor and there is nothing that happened at school to cause this. She is my “last” child so I have babied her and I don’t think this has done her any favors. I have ADD and anxiety/depression. I have previously taken Lexapro but have successfully weaned off that and currently take Vyvanse which is working for me. My daughters pediatrician started her on Lexapro with Vistaril PRN. I have enabled her by keeping her out of school. My pediatrician and therapist feel she needs to be in school but because I understand what she is feeling I don’t feel right about traumatizing her anymore than she is doing to herself. I don’t know anyone else who has a child going through this and I am at a loss. I feel like my psych issues have been put on blast and I feel guilty for potentially “giving” this to my daughter. I am accepting of my mental issues but I do not know how i feel about hearing I “caused” this for my daughter.
I am open to hear any advise or suggestions to help with my daughter. She has a close attachment with me so I think there is some separation anxiety underlying. She has mentioned feeling like she “cannot get out” of the school and what she means is when her stomach hurts (anxiety) the nurse won’t call me since it is nothing worthy to go home.
As I have said I have anxiety and I am stressing out. I would love any suggestions. Thank you so much.
Steph1321 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous55879, Anonymous57363

Thanks for this!
Skeezyks