View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Feb 08, 2019 at 07:56 PM

Police, for the most part, aren't trained to work with people who have mental health concerns. And encounters between police & the mentally ill often don't go well. I wonder if there could be a card of some sort, with information on it regarding your fear of police, that you or perhaps your husband could show to any police officers you encounter so they know talking with them will be a problem for you... (kind-of a take-off on the medic alert bracelet concept.) I may be overly optimistic. But I doubt, in most cases, police officers want to intentionally harm you. They're simply not taught how to work with people who have mental health concerns & so they tend to just fall back onto what they are trained for which is how to handle criminals. Hopefully you won't have too many encounters with your local police to worry about.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote