View Single Post
Loial
El Psy Congroo

Member Since Aug 2014
4,690 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Trig Feb 09, 2019 at 10:59 AM

So, I’ve developed a dependence on alcohol over the past 2 years.

Last year I firmly progressed into daily drinking starting early in the day until I went to bed. Although I have taken breaks the longest I went without alcohol all last year was 6 weeks. On the whole it was just the occasional break of a few days or maybe a week.

I’ve probally been drinking 70-100 units of alcohol a week on average.

I’ve been convinced I can deal with it myself and the short breaks always supported this notion in my mind but ultimately I’ve not been able to achieve abstinence long term. My psychiatrist is aware to an extent and did offer me a referral to the substance misuse clinic but I never took up his offer.

Recently my withdrawal symptoms have been increasing. Most the time I’ve just had night sweats or maybe some trouble sleeping but laterally I’ve been getting nausea too. However my most recent attempt the past 2 days has resulted in significant anxiety. It’s complicated by the fact I’ve weaned off my antipsychotic and do have an anxiety disorder but it can’t be coincidence.

Im worried about DTs although I’m sure it’s unlikely but you read stories on reddit with people who’ve drank for less time and experienced it. Regardless I think my lack of coping with cravings and recent increase in withdrawal symptoms all points to the fact I should get help in achieving abstinence.

Plus I have high cholesterol and have had elevated liver function for years even before drinking was an issue. I dread to think what the change has been since my last checkup last year.

I’ve bought some beer today and am feeling more with it now. I’m going to call my GP on Monday and see what he says. I could call my pdoc for the referral but that’ll take longer and I’ll can get some immediate advice from my GP in the meantime.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson
Loial is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi, Desoxyn, whisperingskye

Thanks for this!
Desoxyn, shovelhead