View Single Post
whisperingskye
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Feb 2017
1,177 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 10, 2019 at 05:29 AM

It’s good that you want to stop and there is nothing wrong with needing help. Definitely try the clinic. I’m not sure what part of the UK you’re from, but if it’s Turning Point or similiar you can refer yourself without a GP or pdoc, just something to consider especially if you struggle to get a GP appointment. The sooner the better right?

So my experience of going to such a place was helpful. You get allocated a keyworker who you see weekly, they work with you to try to reduce drinking safely. You will also learn it’s not always safe to just stop straight away but they will talk through that with you. As well as my individual sessions with my keyworker I had a group once a week to go to which was working towards a detox. They did blood tests, and I had an assessment with a nurse to discuss whether I needed a medical detox or not. Ultimately it turned out I didn’t but it’s better to be on the safe side.

I’m going to be six months sober on Wednesday and while it hasn’t always been easy and there are times when I miss it, and really badly want a drink, it’s been totally worth it.

If you’d like to chat more about anything then please feel free, and I’m happy to pm too if you’d prefer.

Good luck

Tear the whole world down, tear the whole world down.
Failure.
Failure - Breaking Benjamin
whisperingskye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi, Loial, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
bizi, Loial, MickeyCheeky