Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 10, 2019 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtleyWilkins View Post
I like this:

“In fact, recognizing my need for autonomy has measurably improved my ability to enjoy all of my relationships, helping me to realize that when I have a negative reaction that seems out of proportion it often means I'm feeling a compromised sense of autonomy. Identifying the cause of that then usually helps to prevent me from saying or doing something needlessly damaging. For once I recognize I'm actually reacting to a diminished sense of autonomy I'm able to realize that my reaction is my problem, not someone else's. ”.
I find this pings with me as reactions out of proportion to the situation are more easily identifiable to me than they used to be. Perhaps one of the most helpful therapeutic concepts I've learned is that my reaction can both be about the situation (perhaps a person who states something in an inelegant or otherwise troubling way) but also that my internal response reacts to it more strongly than warranted. Both/and.

Maybe there's a part of autonomy that is about paradox. I used to think it was about independence, and I value my independence so strongly I didn't think I would ever be able to share or create a home with a partner, much less parent a child. Even now, I think a long distance relationship might suit me. And I used to think autonomy was more about a kind of kick-*** relationship with other people and the world, warrior like, telling people to go f-off or otherwise drawing huge lines, or building walls between me and others, a psychological "stay off my lawn" approach.

But now for me autonomy isn't really much about other people at all, it is internal, at least for the most part, even when it includes saying no directly to others. It's about making sense of what I'm trying to go for in my life and trying to live up to my intensions and goals. Whether it's in the moment or a more distant response to the choices I have, I'm inching a little closer. Most difficult situations are less of a "fight" and a more say my piece, walk away after listening.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SprinkL3

Thanks for this!
ArtleyWilkins, Out There, SprinkL3