View Single Post
LifelongLoner

LifelongLoner It's the same old, same old. And, I do mean old!

5 yr Member
93 hugs
given
Default Feb 10, 2019 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeribelle2000 View Post
I am new here, and assume my post has been addressed in the past. But since I’m new, maybe forgive please.
Triggers, stupid, dumb, recurring things that are meaningless out of context, but just send my emotions skyward. Just now, as every year this time, there are advertisements by local groups on TV, wanting to create wonderful high school prom experiences for disadvantaged girls. While I did get to go to a couple of high school proms, and other high school ‘date’ dances, I never had the chance to shop for a prom dress, shoes, makeup, hair salon, jewelry, none of it. My parents were both malignant narcissists, and would never allow for any of the household budget to be spent on me. No braces for my horrible crooked teeth, no dermatologist treatment or acne products for my ice pick scar creating acne, certainly not a pretty dress for prom. I was always able to borrow a dress, shoes, wrap, from another girl who would never wear the same dress a second time. Why, oh why, did my parents not love me?
Today I understand they were ugly people on the inside, but the triggers...decades later. The scars. I don’t think I will ever recover from their abuse. Ever.
I am a guy but I can relate very much with you. My C-PTSD has been bad today and I have been struggling with lots of bad thoughts of my childhood. Today I realized that maybe I have C-PTSD because there was so much abuse that it is still surfacing and that I have not dealt with some very important aspects yet. My mom told me that I was ugly but that's really how she wanted me so that I would not date or marry and would be there to caretake for her. It was all about her. My dad died young trying to please my emotionally cold mother and her bossy personality.

Like you, I had very crooked teeth that were never fixed. I had to pay for my own prom with savings from my summer job. She never said a word about love to me or my siblings - there was no advice at all, and we were discouraged from dating. She never even fed us breakfast because she said it was an unnecessary meal. I was the skinniest, palest most underdeveloped kid in grade and high school. I had no friends and no one cared. Somehow, I survived. I don't know how. I guess I learned to take care of myself though my life has been hard. I am deeply scarred emotionally.

You are not alone. Other survivors stand with you and understand.
LifelongLoner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear, Open Eyes